Ways to Boost your Metabolism
Ways to Boost your Metabolism22 January, 2019
Metabolism refers to all the chemical reactions occurring in your body that keeps it alive and functioning well. The higher your metabolism rate, the more calories you get to burn and the more weight you keep off. A high metabolism rate also gives you more energy, keeping you at your kicking best.
When planning on burning fat, think of your metabolism as a fire. To keep it going, you need to add a few pieces of wood every few hours; similarly, to keep your metabolism boosted and burning, you need to eat every 2-3 hours – just make sure what you eat is in small portions and is a combination of complex carbohydrate and lean proteins.
Here are some easy ways to keep your metabolism burning:
- Jump-start your metabolism with your morning breakfast and don’t skip any meals. Small meals like a cup of yoghurt with fruits or oatmeal with nuts and seeds are enough to keep you going in-between mealtimes.
- To reduce weight, you need to cut down on calorie foods, but that doesn’t mean you should go hungry. If you eat less than what’s needed for your basic requirements, the body automatically puts a brake on metabolic activities, so women should stick to 1,200 calories per day.
- Your morning cup of java offers you a boost of caffeine which is a central nervous stimulant and great for firing up metabolism by 5-11% and helps in burning 98-174 calories per day.
- Drinking green tea or oolong tea also revs up metabolism by 12% and helps in converting stored fat into free fatty acids, making them available for metabolism. Drinking tea not only helps in increasing metabolic activity and losing weight, but keeping it off too.
- Drinking cold water is enough to fire the metabolism and burn calories as the body spends energy to warm up the water to body temperature. Drinking water half an hour before eating revs up the burning rate aside from filling you up.
- Add a serving of lean meat, nuts and low-fat yoghurt to every meal. Proteins make you feel full for longer and raise metabolic rates by 15-30%, with fats inducing 0-3% burn and carbohydrates 5-10%.
- Fighting flab with fiber makes you bump up your calorie burn by as much as 30%. Consuming about 25g of fiber a day has been seen to rev up metabolism and prevent weight gain.
- Skip the second drink as drinking leads to lower fat burn as the body uses the alcohol as a fuel source instead.
- Do high intensity workouts which involve quick bursts of activities; this burns more fat by hiking the metabolic rate such that you are still burning even after you finish.
- Boost your metabolism with some good old spicy food. Capsaicin from chilies burns an additional 10 calories per meal while boosting your metabolism – great combo for weight loss!
There are numerous other ways to keep your metabolic burn running, but you do need to make some lifestyle changes first to benefit from weight loss and enjoy higher energy levels.